Friday 5 October 2012

Let's Do Lunch @ Aria 2011

Me and my girlfriend decided to do the Sydney International Food Festival's Let's Do Lunch event at Aria (Matt Moran's restaurant, for MasterChef fans). I'd never been before, and I actually found the restaurant harder to find and more low-key than I had originally anticipated.

The view from inside!! (Image taken from Aria's website)


The inside was quite nice, and it offered up a great view of the harbour, and is only a short distance from the Sydney Opera House.

Shortly after we were seated, the waitress came around with bread. Although my girlfriend's was fine, my roll was actually a bit burnt, which I found to be quite a shortcoming in a 2 hat restaurant.

The actual main was the reason why I had chosen Aria, as the blue swimmer crab and pumpkin risotto seemed to be perfect for my girlfriend's tastes. The risotto was creamy, and went down a treat with the pumpkin. The crab was moist, but its flavour possibly a little bit mild alongside the pumpkin. It was served with a piece of pan fried fish (which I've competely forgotten about ==||), which was a little bit dry.

If I were to be honest, I wasn't blown away by my experience, as the fish had been a little overdone, and the bread burnt. However, the waiter then came around with a desert menu, and asked what we would like. This menu had no prices on it (unlike the comprehensive menu presented to us earlier on), and we thought that dessert was a bonus course.

Mango and lime bombe with black sesame tuille & passionfruit sauce


We both ordered the bombe, and found it delicious!! It was delicious and fresh, and was quite frankly better than any of the Sugar Hit offerings I had sampled that year. It managed to end the meal on a high note, for what would otherwise have been a somewhat more mediocre meal. Unfortunately, when the bill came, we realised we had been tricked, and that the dessert cost extra. After a fit bit of grumbling, me and my girlfriend came to the conclusion that it had been worth it simply because it was so excellent (and the best part of the meal).

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment